Institute laboratories are built in the Melbourne Hospital, corner of Lonsdale and Swanston Streets.
“A spacious building, including a basement and three stories, has been erected at a cost of over £12,000 in immediate connection with the pathological department of the hospital,” The Argus, 11 January 1919.
The reaction to the bronze nameplate erected at the entrance is recorded by Sir Frank MacFarlane Burnet, “the design and general effect were judged worthy of the object.”
Staff are not appointed to the institute until 1918, the institute board decides “it would be quite inappropriate to make any appointment until the war was over.”
In the meantime, the laboratories became the first home of the Commonwealth Serum Laboratories (CSL).