Doug Hilton becomes the institute’s sixth director
Professor Doug Hilton becomes the sixth director of the Walter and Eliza Hall Institute (2009-current).
To date, Hilton’s leadership has been distinguished by:
- A commitment to improving the representation of women in senior research roles.
- Expanding the institute’s capacity to translate discoveries into improved health outcomes for patients.
- Developing collaborative opportunities with partners in the Parkville biomedical precinct and beyond.
- Ensuring Australian medical research is administered and funded in smart and strategic ways.
- Introducing personalised medicine and systems biology to the institute’s research scope, fields now recognised as being increasingly important in the future of healthcare.
- Investing in the future of medical research by fostering young talent, including Centenary Fellows Dr Tracy Putoczki, Dr Ian Majewski, and Dr Simon Willis.